Our Windows / Linux server
First, let's clear up a common misconception. Simply because you run a version of Windows on your home computer, does not mean you need to host your website on Windows 2008. The operating system you use to create your site has no bearing on the platform you choose to host your site. That said, you may build a site that caters to either a Windows or Linux operating system.
LINUX (Redhat Enterprise)
The LINUX platform is widely regarded as highly reliable, and a more popular choice among professional and advanced users. LINUX has a proven track record of performance, stability and security. It has been in a state of constant refinement since its inception, and is based on open standards, allowing easy access to operating system features and applications. LINUX is by default, text-based and does not use a graphical user interface (GUI), which means it can dedicate the full power of the server to your website.
- Most web creation tutorials and documentation refer to this platform
- Long-standing - around for 10 years
- Extremely stable, reliable, functional, and flexible
- Easy to upgrade and expand
- Access to freeware
- Scripting languages such as Perl, PHP4 & PHP5
- Shells such as csh, bash and ksh
- Supports MySQL databases
- Supports MS FrontPage extensions
- Most economical solution
WINDOWS (Windows Server 2008)
Windows 2008 is the operating system of choice for many new users with a reputation for ease of use and administration. 2008 allows those with little or no experience in the fields of web development and hosting to get advanced features working quickly. NT supports tools and software such as Microsoft's FrontPage, Active Server Pages (ASP), Visual Interdev, Access Database, MS SQL 2008, VBScript and MS Internet Studio. You can create a powerful customized site that includes dynamic content and database integration. The Windows environment also offers flexibility and a user-friendly graphical user interface (GUI). Coupled with the numerous third party tools being developed by Microsoft partners, 2008 is quickly becoming a complete web hosting environment.
- Microsoft-specific applications such as FrontPage, Access, IIS, ASP and ASP.NET
- Use of ODBC / DSN connections
- Site Server
- Scripting languages for dynamic content such as ASP, Active Perl and Visual C++
- Other powerful database tools ranging from Access to MS SQL Server Database